"I am NOT immoral!" She was emphatic.
"I have morals! I have values! I am not a bad person because I didn't vote for Double-Yoo. What makes THEM think that I am BAD?" She was quite exercised.
She wasn't surprised that her Red State went for Bush--her rustbelt politics were strong but without any foothold in America's grain basket. But she was surprised with the numbing media-mantra about morals and values voters making the difference in 2004.
"Who gave THEM the market on morality?" she cried. She did not feel good about being a Democrat.
Frank Rich wrote in his NYTimes column on Sunday
| “ | After so many years of fear and loathing, we had almost forgotten what it’s like to feel good about our country. On Thursday night [after the Iowa caucuses], that long-dormant emotion came rushing back, like an old dream that pops out of the deepest recesses of memory, suddenly as clear as light. |
What excites so many folks about Obama? He lets my sister feel good--dare I say proud?--to be an American. She can feel hope and a sense of possibility. She can stand up and say, "I am NOT a bad guy. I can love my country, too! And I do."
No matter the eventual nominees, at least for now, many Democrats, Republicans and independents can remove the mantle of irony and cynicism and embrace the best in us all.
No comments:
Post a Comment