My recent trip to San Francisco included a morning stroll along The Embarcadero and the recently redeveloped Ferry Building at the Port of San Francisco. I walked through the market/commercial space--formerly the baggage handling area--on my way to watch the incoming catamaran ferrying commuters from across the water (I don't really know where they came from, but they were mostly people going to work).
There were a bunch of stalls at the Port with the most incredible array of goods. Artisan cheeses, clams, high-end beef (and high-class hot dogs!), olives, wine, caviar, clams, fish, farmers' market vegetables, fresh baked sourdough breads and rolls. All foods were super quality--and nary a chain in sight. All I could think of was, "I wish I passed through here every night on the way home."
I am not an urban planner. But, I am a user of urban areas. I bought my cheese and olive roll and left thinking, "Why does SF have a surfeit of great shopping? What are elements of such success? City support? Income levels? Downtown access? Start-up and risk taking behavior?"
And, most importantly, "Why don't we have a place like this in Washington, D.C." (burned down Eastern Market notwithstanding).
Everyone in an urban neighborhood wants to have a great shopping district in walking distance. The District government pays alot of money for it. How do you jump start a great retail/restaurant row? How do you encourage people to frequent great local shops, like Dwellings, instead of the Tar-jay? What makes the local coffee shoppe--like Cafe Sureia a reincarnation of Cup o' Dreams--viable?
I strive for the authentic--try Uncle Brutha's hot sauce on Capitol Hill for the BEST, most flavorful hot sauce EVER.
I think, though, that authenticity can't be manufactured. Darn!
No comments:
Post a Comment